How to fit a kitchen worktop which could save you cash in a home revamp
Putting in your personal worktops might save money in your kitchen revamp.
And it’s price doing properly, as a result of poor dwelling renovations could actually devalue your property long term.
The DIY mission
Kitchens are the toughest working room within the dwelling and sometimes want changing and repairing. To save cash on putting in a worktop, it’s potential to undertake the duty your self.
Nonetheless, it is very important consider sure key steps to be able to guarantee profitable completion of the mission – if unsure get an professional in.
Al Bruce based Olive & Barr in 2018. The corporate, with showrooms in south London and Malvern, Worcestershire, makes use of the methods of expert artisans mixed with sustainable handmade cabinetry to create distinctive kitchens. Al started his profession 25 years in the past finding out to be a cupboard maker in school and has since offered numerous handmade Shaker kitchens together with fashionable worktops.
What you’ll want
- Correx for a template
- Stanley knife
- Round energy noticed or hand noticed
- Screws and fixing bracket
- Silicone sealant
1. To begin, it’s essential to take exact measurements and the simplest methodology is to craft a template utilizing Correx, a resilient, sturdy and impact-resistant corrugated plastic sheet. Utilizing a Stanley knife, rigorously hint across the architectural options and contours to make a exact template.
2. Whether or not you select a wooden, laminate, marble or granite worktop, every materials has completely different slicing and becoming necessities. Should you’re hoping to put in stone or granite kitchen worktops, we’d advise searching for professional assist as these pure supplies ought to solely be reduce and fitted by certified specialists.
3. Wooden and laminate are best in case you’re trying to match a worktop your self, and it’s important to have the proper instruments. A round energy noticed is finest for precision, however a pointy blade is at all times finest, so test earlier than beginning. Though some would possibly choose a extra conventional method with a handsaw, this methodology must be approached with warning as it’s going to require much more precision and energy to chop.
4. As soon as reduce, buff out picket sharp edges by sanding the edges for knowledgeable, easy end. Laminated worktops often include ending strips. Lower these to the proper size and put adhesive on the strip and the sting of the worktop.
5. As soon as reduce to dimension, repair the worktop beneath with screws and fixing bracket whereas clamping the entrance fringe of the worktop to the fixing rail on the entrance of the cupboard.
6.. In some instances, you might want to make use of a hacksaw to customize the strips to suit the countertop width.
7. Fasten the countertop securely with 5mm in diameter x 16mm picket screws, nevertheless be certain to not tighten them an excessive amount of. To create a stronger bond, add a silicone sealant alongside the slicing fringe of the connecting worktop. Be part of it with the connecting strip earlier than you securely fasten it and wipe away any surplus sealant that will have overflowed.
Take a look at Olive & Barr