Montessori is a popular teaching methodology amongst parents, and the inclination towards it is increasing rapidly. However, most people just know that Montessori education is all about activity-based learning. They know that the schools following this learning practice work with the idea that no child should be kept confined in the four walls of a classroom. Although it is correct, Montessori teaching is much more than this.
What is Montessori Education?
Montessori is a self-paced teaching methodology guided or assessed by educators. You will find this as an option during the school admission process of your toddler, as it works well with young children who have just started their schooling journey.
Some of the features of Montessori schools are:
- Children are allowed to choose the activities they want to perform. However, no educator would ever force any child to indulge in a session that they do not find interesting.
- Every child is allowed to learn at their own pace.
- Children get motivated to try different things, like sketching, music, dance, sports, and more, ensuring their holistic development.
- Though there are no rules, children are still disciplined. The only difference is that the concept of a disciplined life positively gets to them.
The idea of Montessori is to let every child be, and this learning practice has countless positive impacts.
Impact of Montessori Education on Child Development
The features of this learning practice indicate it is suitable for a child’s overall growth and development. Let us discuss some of the impacts in detail.
- Montessori gives an individualised experience to every child instead of following the same strategy for everyone. Children can choose the activities based on their grasping power and interests. There will be an individualised learning plan for every child, which the teacher will use to let them learn at their own pace. This way, they will not feel the stress of being compared to other children. Moreover, this strategy also brings out the best in every child.
- The entire focus is on making children seekers of knowledge rather than chasing the grades. Though it involves assessment tests and examinations, a Montessori student never feels burdened. The educators focus on raising intellectual curiosity in children and giving them a sustainable learning experience over a lifetime. Thus, a Montessori prepares the child for the future, not just for the exams of their respective grades.
- There is no better way to teach your child to stay disciplined than to choose Montessori during school admission. The educators under this program allow children the freedom to make their own learning choices. But, at the same time, teaching them to obey their teachers, stay organised, and avoid creating unnecessary nuisances is essential.
- When children learn as per their interests and do not have to face any strict rules or punishments, their mental health stays sound. It is crucial to ensure that the child’s mental health is not affected negatively, as it will impact their entire life. Montessori takes care of all this and raises children to be kind, loving and happy.
In a nutshell, Montessori education significantly impacts the child’s overall growth and development. You can look for a trusted school that follows this teaching mechanism and enrol your child in it to push them towards a productive life.